November 27, 2007
An illustration of how “convoluted” it could be when it comes to histories of TCMA…
I am sure you have all heard about the big 5 styles of Canton and the origin of Wing Chun 6 ½ pole.
Here’s another author’s view of these 2 published in a mainland magazine not too long ago.
- Created by Jhee Shim during Chien Long period of the Ching dynasty.
- During the 16th year of Chien’s reign, Manchu army burned down “9 lotus mountain” Shaolin temple in Putian (Fuzhou) where Jhee Shim was stationed..
- Only a handful escaped and Jhee Shim fled via Chou Zhou, Hui Zhou to Kwan Zhou (Canton) and took refuge in “Kwan Xiao Si” and taught 5 students clandestinely. These five students are the founders of “Hung, Lau, Choy, Li and Mok” systems prominent in Canton.
- Still being hunted, Jhee Shim had to hole up with the red boat “opera troop” where he taught this pole form.
- All the styles mentioned about have this form in their repertoire albeit in various shades.
I say “convoluted” because, talk to different folks, you are going to hear all sort of variations of , not only the source of the form but also the tenability of “Jhee Shim” role in any of the abovementioned art forms.
Again, highlighting what Por Suk said to me on so many occasions; every line, every family and every teacher will have their own perspective.
More or less the same plots or same characters but with “skewed” viewpoints; so believe what you believe and also accept that there will be others who think that you are totally wrong.
Agree to disagree is how I like to put it……that or argue until cow comes home….
November 27, 2007
left to right Ting Tiong Kong, Ting Huat Yion and Kong Xian Hua
It was over a year ago that I first visited Sibu, Sarawak to garner support from CKF folks there to congregate and present TCMA in our event, as part of an overall effort to revivify interests.
Slowly and steadily, there are signs that this happening and the situation is most inspiring.
None of these would be doable if not for the enthusiasm and hard work of some key peoples, namely:-
Edmond Wong – Hakka Praying Mantis Fan Zhuang Quan.
Xiong De Lu – 5 Ancestors Boxing
Ting Huat Yion – Fong Yang Quan.
Kong Xian Hua – Hakka Fan Zhaung Quan.
Ting Tiong Kong – Shaolin White Crane
Lam Chee Keong – Hung Gar.
Our event is just but the start, these folks there are coming together to form a centralized training facility with a syllabus that assimilate forms/methods from each individual styles.
Tentatively to be named “Sibu Zhong He Quan Shu” or “Sibu Combined MAs” training center, this project is projected to kick off in the New Year.
This is all music to my ears, exactly what we hope to achieve when we first started out our venture.
I like to wish them all the best and the company will lend them support whenever possible….